Bedrocks of the Family
Christian Freedom For The Home
Inner Christian Freedom cannot be stopped, but by death, which for the christian brings ultimate eternal freedom in Christ.
Outer Christian Freedom is the ability to express ones relationship with Christ freely under His sovereign Lordship.
The family is the theme of the Bible narrative. The great scheme of God in salvation by sovereign grace is in the narrative of the family from Adam’s family to God’s family. God purposefully chooses the Name of “God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” The Father-Son relationship is thus the great vessel to contain the eternal salvation of God’s children.
The home is the heart of the expression of the freedom of the family. Paul says, Gal 5:1 “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” The ESV says: ‘For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.’ Christ set us free so we can live free. We are not free to live as in anarchy, but free to obey our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ ever says, “If you love me, keep my commandments’, John 14:15. No power in heaven, earth or hell is permitted to keep us from the freedom of obedience to Christ. Thus, without freedom in the home, there is no real outer freedom for the christian. When the christian home is destroyed by the laws of the land or by sin and Satan, there is no foundation for real freedom.
FREEDOMS IN THE HOME
I. Freedom to Worship
1. From the conscience. For the christian, the Bible is the sovereign eternal standard for the conscience.
2. Christ as the all in all of worship. The message of the Bible can be summed up by God, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”, Mat 3:17 . Heaven is pleased with Christ, and so are all true believers.
3. In a home church. Act_5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.” It seems that few Christians today realize that for centuries there were no church buildings. The temple was destroyed shortly after Christ’s Ascension. Home churches were normal.
II. Freedom to care for the Family
1. To decide what is best for the family, from the view point of Christ, in every matter of life.
2. To decide food, atmosphere, clothing, social relationships according to the specific convictions hammered out of the Holy Scriptures.
3. To decide how to bring children into the world, or the birthing process. The birth of a baby is not a medical emergency in which an expectant mother is rushed to a hospital, given a sedative or pain killer and through much fear and pain a child is born. Most babies who have ever been born, were born at home. Home birth is a most beautiful, peaceful, loving, gently experience in which the first thing the new born does is nurse in the warm and loving arms of its mother, not being rushed off to a nursery with glaring lights and strangers rushing around.
4. To decide the proper schooling for the child. The Bible taught parent has the responsibility to train up the child in the way he should go. No social institution or government has that right from God’s perspective. Home schooling is the closest thing to the Bible standard. If it seems impossible to certain parents or situations, it is possible through faith.
5. To decide the proper financial structure for life. God gives the ability to get and use wealth. Prayer is real, and the atmosphere of the true christian home is one of miracles. Prayer is not simply a religious form, it is the calling on God to do a miracle. Any answer to any true prayer is a miracle. The just are to live by faith and to pray without ceasing.
6. To decide what is proper health care. Pro_17:22 “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones. “ 3Jn_1:2 “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.” Mrk 16:18, “they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover”. Joy, holiness and the miraculous have always worked and will always work in our Lord Jesus Christ. Unbelievers cannot receive this, but it is bread and butter for the Bible believer! It has worked for centuries and still works today. Also, our wonderful Creator God has put so many wonderful things in our world to create and maintain health. Most of these things are natural and there is not an easy way for men to make a lot of money on them. They cannot be patented. Parents should be allowed to decide what is good for the health of their family and children, not society or the government.
In summary, the Bible says, Eph 6:1-3 “Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.” Also, God fortifies the christian home with the fifth commandment, Exo 20:12 “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” The parents, not the government or social agencies, have the only God given authority in the home.
In our great country where we have been the example of christian freedom in the world we have changed. We have given up our Bible given rights to an increasingly over reaching government, and apostate pulpits. Every genuine lover of Jesus and His precious Word, must ever be on a mission to walk in the freedom where with Christ has made us free.
We propose a ministry which builds, fortifies and promotes the freedom of the christian home in home worship, home schooling, home birthing, home business,and other aspects of life. Our aim will be to instruct and inspire from the Bible and the real life experiences of the saints.
Pastor Hal Stanley